Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Pohling Pulls Plug on Online Poll

“I just wanted it to stop! It was fun for years and years, then one day I realized I had an endless loop of the grainy video tape playing in my head over and over and over,” Mitchell Pohling reflected. “I remembered that The Neverending Story was written by Michael Ende, so I wondered, what if he changed the last letter of his last name from ‘e’ to ‘s’? You know, set up a vibrational pattern allowing at least the possibility of a conclusion. The Neverending Story Ends. So, yeah, I set up the online poll, you know, to see how the public might feel about it. The results were surprising. I never meant to deceive anyone, though. When I found out that Ende died way back in 1995, I pulled the plug on the poll right away. It’s just too late. A posthumous name-change is never gonna happen.”

Pohling, ever-ready to share his opinion, is a certified survey addict. Hoping for telemarketers, he keeps the phone line clear during the dinner hour, seeks out clipboard-totin' aggressive types at the mall, and dreams of someday joining the Gallup guard. An election year is pure heaven.

“Oh yeah, and another thing,” Pohling added. “Seems Michael Ende had some interesting ideas of looking at the world, money-wise, that is. How about The Neverending Prosperity? Would that be a story to see again and again? Vote 'Yes' or 'No' on my new online poll . . ."

5 comments:

Eva Marie Sutter said...

So great! Is this true about Mr. Ende? Is this his real name?

Aunt Sue said...

Yes, Eva! I was thinking about just submitting the headline 'Neverending Story Ends', when I discovered author Michael Ende's name and decided to try and do a litle write-up . . .

Koya Moon said...

This is cool!

SomeCallMeTim said...

Amazing! So many fun twists of words! Its sad that there probably are people who like polls that much, though. Well done!

Luke Leger said...

I wonder if Pohling's poll results can be broken down to determine what the residents of Fantasia voted for.