Friday, November 21, 2008

The Call

“Hello.”
“Hey. What are you doing?”
“Playing poker. I thought you were running?”
“I am.”
“What do you want?”
“I was running by the canal and there's otters in it.”
“That’s weird. They shouldn’t be there.”
“I didn’t think so. What should I do?”
“Call the police.”
“And say what?”
“That there’s otters in the canal.”
“I don’t know if they’re otters.”
“You just said they were.”
“Maybe they’re sea lions.”
“What do they look like?”
“They’re the size of the dog and have tails like his.”
“What color are they.”
“Sort of black.”
“And?”
“They have lots of whiskers.”
“Sounds like baby seals to me. How many are there?”
“Four.”
“Call the police.”
“I don’t know the number.”
“Call 911 and tell them it isn’t an emergency. They’ll transfer you.”
“But I don’t know what they are.”
“Tell them there’s some sort of sea creature in the canal that doesn’t belong there.”
“Will you come?”
“Fine. I’m leaving.”
-----------------------------------------------------------------
“I’m on my way.”
“They got out and went in the gutter things.”
“The canal doesn’t have gutters.”
“Maybe it isn’t the canal.”
“Well that’s where I’m going. Where should I go?”
“Over by Allen Wit Park.”
“There isn’t a canal over there. It’s just a creek.”
“Well that’s where I am. Are you still coming?”
“I’m turning around.”
-----------------------------------------------------------------
“They just went back in the water.”
“Where?”
“Over there. You’ll see their heads in a minute.”
“Where?”
“Over there! Look! They’re getting out!”
“Um…those aren’t sea animals.”
“What are they?”
“Well they aren’t black. Don’t have tails like the dog.”
“What are they?”
“Are you sure those are what you were describing?”
“Yes! What are they!”
“Beavers.”
“Oh…”
“Do you want a ride home?”
“No. I’m going to finish my run.”
“Let me know if you see a whale in a puddle.”

2 comments:

flutterby said...

And you said you couldn't do this! Great dialog.

Jeffrey James Ircink said...

you have an odd sense of humor - which i like. nice dialogue. well written. left a post for you back on my one-act excerpt...wanted to email you the entire play but need an email address.

i'm enjoying this blog, and the writers on it.