Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Let's talk about dreams

“Do you want to hear about the dream I had last night?”
“Sure.”
“Well, I was at an amusement park, and the roller coasters were really scary. There was this one that was really tall, and you got on it at the top of the tallest hill.”
“Neat.”
“Yeah. It was weird because in the dream I was looking at myself in line from a distance, and I could hardly see myself.”
“That is weird.”
“I know. All of a sudden I saw myself falling from the stairway, still from a distance. I looked like an ant. I don't know what caused me to fall, but before I saw myself hit the ground, I woke up.”
“Scary!”
“I know. Have you ever had an amusement park dream?”
“I don't think so.”
“I wonder what it means.”
“I don't know.”
“What do you think?”
“Could you please stop talking to me? I’m trying to read.”
“Oh......okay.......................................................I’ve had other amusement park dreams, you know.”
“Good.”
“Can I tell you about another one?”
“Whatever.”
“I'm always at the same park, and I always know where to go when I'm there; but when I am awake, I can't really picture what it looks like and I can't navigate it in my mind like I could, say...Cedar Point. You know what I mean?”
“I think so...”
“Well, the park if right off this interstate that has lots of ramps and exits and there is this one little shop right down the street that we always go to before we get to the park. It feels so familiar to me. There is never anyone there and it seems so out of place, but we always go there. It is dark, has wooden floors, walls, and ceiling and the outside has a boardwalk of some sort. We always look at the beach towels...”
“What does this have to do with the amusement park?”
“Sorry...I got sidetracked.”
“Could you get to the point? I'd like to get back to my book.”
“Fine. In this dream I was alone and looking for the group of people I was with when I saw that my favorite ride had no line! I ran over to get on and I was the only person on the whole train. It was a very strange feeling and I did not enjoy the ride as much by myself. I was worried that the ride would malfunction or something, but everything turned out fine and I kept riding it over and over. I couldn't resist getting on that ride since it had no line.”
“Interesting.”
“Really??”
“Not really. Can I get back to my book now?”
“Yeah, but talking about these dreams made remember so many others that I have had at this amusement park.”
“Well, why don't you go write them down so you don't forget them?”
“That's a good idea...”

6 comments:

Aunt Sue said...

I always like to talk about dreams - and I always like reading what you're writing!

flutterby said...

Great dialog. Very realistic. BTW I had this dream last night, I was......

Luke Leger said...

I love talking about my dreams. The problem is, I remember a lot of them so vividly right after I wake up and I have no one to tell them to since I get up so early, then the details slowly fade as time passed. Only a few really stick.

Koya Moon said...

a voice recorder is always there to listen! i've done it...its got better ears than most people do!

Luke Leger said...

Good idea. Thanks Katie!

Imprimatur said...

If I had a dream about being on a roller coaster I would most likely awaken in my own vomit but I'm glad you were able to ride the ride over and over again. Just the thought of it made my room spin. Well done.