Monday, November 3, 2008

Jello 1-2-3 Causes Riot

The Higgledy-Piggledy Market of Macon, GA saw a near riot last week when the last known case of Jello 1-2-3 was spotted on a stocker’s pallet in Aisle Eight. Jostling for position, Wanda Stephens called out, “I’ll buy the whole case, y'all – I saw it first!” She was soon outmaneuvered ‘quicker than a 1-2-3’ by Kimmy Potter who waxed nostalgic as she elbowed Wanda aside, “My Mom always made this for me – it was my favorite!” Within minutes security personnel responded, dispersing the clamorous crowd.

Made popular in the ‘70s and edged off grocery shelves in '96, Jello 1-2-3 was a fun dessert snack that separated into three layers upon setting, the topmost layer pure fluff. This reporter remembers her sister surviving on the stuff during a bout with mono in ‘72. A Boomer-groundswell of support for this triple-treat may see a ‘new and improved’ version before year’s end.

Manager Floyd Beckheiser, seen hugging the case of 24 on the way to the safe, bragged, “This is pure gold! We’ll be posting this baby on Ebay!” Early estimates suggest the bidding will far exceed the symbolic opening price of $1.23.

4 comments:

Koya Moon said...

This is hilarious! Way to set time and place...and the characterization was right on. I want more! 1-2-3 !

flutterby said...

How in the heck did you do that and so quickly? I'll be agonizing over this assignment all month and probably still get it wrong. Ya did good kid.

Eva Marie Sutter said...

What wit! This is so much fun to read!

SomeCallMeTim said...

Fun! I've never had Jello 1-2-3, but I want some! That sounds so neat! You amaze me with your quick and witty writing yet again.