Thursday, November 20, 2008

A excerpt from my new one-act, REVEILLE!

This is from a works-in-progress one-act. Always nice to get feedback from folks.

(August. 1862. Evening. Somewhere in the Shenandoah Valley of Northern Virginia. The Civil War is in its second year. AMANDA, 25, is sitting at a long table in the living room of a modest farm home - writing. CATHERIN is eight years older and plays a utilitarian role, busying herself with the day-to-day routines associated with the house and property. They live alone on the property. AMANDA has just finished an essay on "her typical day" in the hopes that Godey's Ladies Book will consider publishing it. CATHERIN is slicing watermelon.)

AMANDA
I say Godey’s is not a luxury but a necessity. With its helpful hints and its patterns and needlework and instructions in housekeeping – why we save twice the price we pay for it in less than a few months.

CATHERIN
Prissy...piece...of trash.

AMANDA
Then why don’t you submit your own story?

(Once she has finished slicing the watermelon, CATHERIN begins ironing.)


CATHERIN
The world is an unhappy place, Amanda. My demeanor would have to be on a higher plain for me to even consider the task of sitting down to write – Godey’s or otherwise.

AMANDA
Well if the world were in a better place, what would you write about then?
(Silence.)
Oh, come on. Don’t be such a sour puss. Tell me.

CATHERIN
I don’t know.
(Pause. Reflecting.)
I suppose I’d write about living here in the valley – before the war...when even the faintest breeze blows in the smell of sassafras blossoms from a mile away and the mockingbirds swoop down on anyone who gets close to their nest – which they do without reservation because everyone knows you’re never to kill a mockingbird and the mockingbirds know it, too.
(She stops ironing.)
I’d write about how that dog of yours slouches around so much so you’d think she were dead to the world –

AMANDA
Don’t talk unkindly about Molly. She’s never ever even hurt a flea.

CATHERIN
- except for when she nips at the honey bees flying about her head.
(Beat)
Or I’d write about our farm...how you’re scared of feeding the chickens and how one day –

AMANDA
I am not!

CATHERIN
You are too – and quit interrupting me. And how one day you proposed we eat the Rhode Island Red and Plymouth Rock chickens as they most certainly were Yankee-bred and would do irreparable harm to a Southerner’s palate. I’d tell of midnight walks along 4¼ Mile Road, lit up by the slightest sliver of a moon – like a postcard...where you can hear the rippling and splashing of Little Mountain Run in the dark as she snakes down and around through the Shenandoah Valley, and the horned owl joins the bullfrog and the crickets in a symphony that only God could compose. Or the lonesome whistle of the Blue Ridge Railway...clickety-clackety – reminding me there’s a world to explore beyond this valley. I’d write how exhausted I am after drinking it all in and how I’m able to get a full night’s sleep and wake up refreshed, ready to experience it all over again.
(Beat)
Not like now...where the world’s filled with nothing but the suffering because of some men’s war. Not like now when I worry that soldiers might steal off with the horses in the middle of the night or that I might awaken to a rifle barrel stuck in my gut – or worse.
(Beat)
Oh I smell sassafras occasionally. And I’m not saying the crickets have stopped chirping all together. But it’s –
(Beat)
– everything I cherish about this place has been smothered by war. The trains bring men into town, filling our streets with blue troops and gray troops marching off to fight and kill one another. The air is filled with smoke and fire. The Yankees’ blockade stopped Little Mountain Run from rippling and splashing. How many people have we known moved away or killed? This simple life of ours which I derived so much joy is no more.
(Beat)
I took pleasure in the rain – a steady, long, slow rain. It washed the earth clean and made everything smell reborn...new – like fresh laundry brought in outta the sun and the wind. The only rain that falls now brings with it the stench of death and the streets run with the blood of young men who are lost forever. And I’m afraid that everything will change and I’ll forget what it was like.
(Sheepishly.)
I’m rambling on.
(Beat. She goes back to ironing.)
That’s what I’d write about. The way things used to be. Our reality is the war. What joy would there be in writing about that?

AMANDA
Well I’m fairly certain that’s not the slant Godey’s is aspiring it’s readers to write about – all that blood and guts and such. I, for one, choose to concentrate on the positive aspects of the day. War or no war.

CATHERIN
Why don’t you write about that boy you’re always exchanging letters with? What’s his name?

AMANDA
You mean Dowd? He’s in love with me – did I tell you that? His father bought and sold horses in the next county over before the war. I believe he sold most of them to the army. He might be a zillionaire by now.
(She goes back to writing. Beat.)
Sounds like a storybook – all that fluff you were talking about. You came up with all that on your own?

CATHERIN
I’ve lived it all my life. So have you...or did you already forget?

AMANDA
I didn’t forget.
(Beat)
“Sassafras blossoms”. I like that. May I use it in my narration? For Godey’s?

CATHERIN
If you can get over the fluff.

6 comments:

Aunt Sue said...

I love Catherin's 'monologue', especially how she sums it up - it is faintly reminiscent of Elise McKenna's soliloquy in Somewhere in Time. Instead of describing her true love though 'That is what I would say to him . . .' you have Catherin describing love of place. 'That's what I would write about . . .'

This piece takes me back . . . our family lived in Staunton, VA for about 4 years - where theater arts are alive and well!

Koya Moon said...

I agree ! Makes me miss those purple mountains majesty Shenandooooah...I long to touch you....!

flutterby said...

As always, the South brings those of us who love it, back home over and over again. Catherin paints a perfect picture of the peace rural life offers. Well done!

Imprimatur said...

I think it's great how both characters give oppsoing view points. You've captured the scene really well as I feel that I am there...very hard to do in such a short excerpt! I'd like to read more!

Aunt Sue said...

Perhaps on some future summer day, we'll all meet there . . . somewhere in the Shen Valley . . .

Jeffrey James Ircink said...

Imprimatur - would be more than happy to email you the entire one-act...what's your email?