Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Thinking is Overrated

A few months ago, I was putting in a lot of ten hour days at work, including half days on Saturday. At my age, that's a pretty grueling schedule, but the money was too good to pass up, so I persevered. One particular evening, I came home crabby and exhausted, knowing that I still had chores to do at the apartment, and nothing in the fridge to eat.

In spite of my fatigue, I dug into the necessary cleaning of the kitchen and bathroom, threw in a load of laundry, showered, and finally donned my PJS. Feeling good about having completed my list of things to do, I collapsed into the recliner for some mindless TV viewing. After a few minutes, I realized that I hadn't eaten yet. Grudgingly I padded back into the kitchen and boiled up the staple of human kind, Ramon Noodles. Several minutes later I was back in the recliner with the steaming bowl in hand.

While reaching for the remote, I somehow managed to knock the bowl sideways, spilling the entire mess into my lap. At this point, what was I thinking? Well, actually , I was thinking "Shit! If I stand up this stuffs going to go all over the suede recliner and onto the carpeting, and I'm going to have to spend the next hour cleaning it up." I swear, my brain actually suggested that I remain seated, as I began to carefully scoop all the noodles back into the bowl.

Suddenly from within the deep primal recesses of my mind, a ferrell scream erupted. "Get up you idiot! Your legs are on fire.!" And so, at last, I leaped to my feet and let the boiling noodles fly everywhere. In my haste to strip off my scalding PJS, I spread the mess even further. Then, as predicted, I spent the next hour cleaning up the recliner and the carpeting. I was thoroughly discouraged and exhausted. My legs were red and scalded, and to top it all off, it dawned on me that I was going to end up going to bed without any supper. As I slipped beneath the covers, I said to myself, "Sometimes it just doesn't pay to think things through."

No comments: