Thursday, January 22, 2009

Peace and Place

To start conversation, we decided to go around the table and tell what our dream job would be. We were in a dimly lit restaurant in Italy, sipping on limoncellos. The debonair sportsman started:
"I'd like to write books on the flora and fauna of the Swiss Alps."
"I'd like to be a mime or a puppet-maker," a teenager offered. Her mom turned her face in embarrassment.
"I'd like to do what I do, which is to help people heal themselves with plants and herbs," said the blond.
Then came the thick, middle-aged woman's turn: "I like money. To touch it when I want to. To know its in the bank, multiplying. I want money and I don't care how I get it. Its not about the job for me, its the result. I want to roll around in benjamins."
I smiled in disbelief at her greedy frankness. I'd never heard anyone speak in this way about money before. My stepdad, the greediest man I'd ever known always tried to hide his ambition under a cloak of philanthropy.
My opinion of this woman changed from friendly lady who liked to cook and eat 88% cocoa mass chocolate to pathetic money grubber with no values.

But to my horror, I recently realized that I am becoming just like her. My husband asked me what I sought in a job. I told him, "I don't care! Just something that makes a lot of money! Money and independence are what I want, nothing else! I don't care about helping people, being of service anymore, I want money!"
And how I was disgusted with myself! Why have I ceased to be satisfied? I used to be so optimistic, essentially happy with myself. Why has money become the only thing that really matters?
My dream of being a yoga teacher has fallen by the wayside. Maybe getting certified in Pilates would bring in more money? Then I spend hours looking up average salary statistics and job demand on-line.
I even attended a seminar on pyramid schemes this week. And I started selling antique glassware on e-bay because someone who is building a three million dollar home in our neighborhood did the same. I'm racing away from minimum wage jobs and on the frantic hunt for fortune.
Thanks to this Ditalini Press topic of peace and of place, I see what's going on. An essential part of my attaining peace will come when I can have a place to call my own. And I see that can only manifest itself with money. The lady in Italy was right. I just wasn't old enough to understand.

3 comments:

Koya Moon said...

wow, good work. i remember judging Dean at that dinner table after she spoke so greedily about money. i think it's something we all feel at times, but I've realized that money doesn't have any value to me. none at all. people do though, especially for eachother. next time you feel this way, please tell me...so I can kick you in the hiney!

Luke Leger said...

Excellent post, Eva. I have to say money is important to me, and I know your desire to have a place to call your own. Independence-- depending on the way you want to live your life, that will probably not come without money. There is a big difference between greed and wanting to earn enough money to sustain a healthy quality of life.

My dream job is to have my own restaurant and to be able to serve my food on my own hand made pottery; much like the Simon Pearce restaurant in Vermont. Even though that dream may never manifest itself, I am truly happy with the way my life has turned out to this point. And I hold on to the hope that I will at least have my own small pottery studio when I retire.

You will find your way, Eva; and it may start with a minimum wage job. Just don't give up. Know that you have a wonderful support system of family and friends who will always be there for you.

Jeffrey James Ircink said...

i want money for reasons all of us do - to eat, clothes, rent, gas, etc. i don't covet money. there's a difference. it's true - the adage, "money doesn't buy happiness". it doesn't. i love it when people then say, "well it sure makes life a little easier". yeah. shut up.