Saturday, January 24, 2009

The Sonic 6 Experience

It was the spring of 1991, and I had just been given a brand new Huffy Sonic 6 bicycle for my birthday. I finally had it, my very own Sonic 6! I stood there for a minute, in awe of the stick shifter, the windshield; it was everything I could have ever wanted. I was so thrilled. Plus, the icing on the cake - my parents had expanded my riding boundaries. The possibilities were endless! I was no longer a boy, I was becoming a man.

I soon took off to seek out my uncharted boundaries; new adventures were out there to be had. I could only imagine what laid in store for me. I suddenly knew what my first destination would be. I started riding northeast to the St. Patrick’s parking lot. The school and church parking lots were connected and there were some uneven spots that would make for a nice thrilling ride. Plus, the parking lot was huge; so I could ride with reckless abandon.

Oh, the fun I had. Riding all over the parking lot, going up and down the little hill connecting the lots, snaking through the church walkways; me and this bike were made for each other. Practicing shifting through all six speeds, finding the one that was just right; I was reborn. I was eleven years old, and I felt like my life had finally started.

After riding a while, I decided to move on. As much fun as I was having in the parking lot, I realized that I had a lot more new territory to explore. I turned onto the 1000 block of north Webster Street and saw a new possibility for adventure staring me right in the face. It was a house with a concrete edging around the yard about three feet high. The edging curved around the house, running parallel to the alley until they eventually were level with one another. What a perfect opportunity to get some air time on by new bike!

I rode up the alley to where I could get on the edging. The concrete was about eight inches across, and about twenty feet long, so it was hard to keep my bike on it for such a long distance. I kept getting so far and then either veering into the person's yard or back down onto the alley. Getting frustrated, I rode further down the alley so I could build up some speed before getting on the edging. Gaining speed, I made it on the edging and was riding straight and true. This was it; I finally was going to make the jump. Yes! My initial excitement instantly turned to fear as I saw the edge ending and the sidewalk below. Oh, No! I didn't realize just how high off the sidewalk I was going to be. What was I thinking? It was too late to turn back, so I held on tight and hoped for the best.

I came crashing down, my face taking the brunt of the force as I landed on the sidewalk below. My lip had been busted open and my nose was bleeding; along with some other cuts and scrapes. Even worse, I scuffed the windshield on my new bike! Defeated, I started the seemingly endless journey back home. It was only about five blocks away, but it felt like forever. The windshield on my new bike was all scratched up, and I was a bloody mess. When I got home, my mom was quick to tend to my wounds and she asked me how it happened. For fear of getting my new privileges revoked, I told her that I was riding around the block, slipped off the edge of the sidewalk and crashed. I'm not sure if she believed me, but she didn't press the issue.

Needless to say, I didn't try that stunt again, but I had many other adventures with that bike. I rode it all the time, until one fateful day, I left it in the front yard while I went inside to eat some lunch. When I came back out, my bike was gone and an old rusty ten-speed laid there in its place. My bike had been stolen, and I was devastated. I don't remember the bike I got to replace it, but I do know that I have not had as much fun with a bike since I had my Sonic 6.

5 comments:

Eva Marie Sutter said...

Luke, this is a very well written story. I remember when you got that bike! It was the coolest. It was great to relive the excitement you felt through this story.

flutterby said...

Great story telling, and the picture makes it come to life! It's a wonder any of us lived through our childhood adventures.

Koya Moon said...

Great story Luke. Sad to hear that the bike was stolen! Wonder what kind of spills the thief took on his/her way home with it??? Muahhh ha haaaa! Is this an actual picture of it??

Luke Leger said...

No, Katie, that picture is not of my actual bike, but that is exactly what it looked like. Wait a minute...maybe it is my bike!

Anonymous said...

I remember when I got this bike from childrens palace it cost a at the time a $106...I was the man. And got all the girls...nobody had a bike better than me since then!