Friday, January 30, 2009

peaceful slumber

Startled awake from my peaceful slumber,
I bark at the door to see who is there.
Again, there is no one, much to my wonder.
I walk back in and lay down in my chair.

The day passes by with barely a movement.
Contentedly laying here dreaming sweet dreams.
Would getting up prove any improvement?
It's too comfortable here to try it, it seems.

What's that I smell? Someone fixing a meal?
I slide off the couch and follow my nose.
Alas, it's not for me. So, what's the big deal?
Off to find my blanket this time, that's just how it goes.

Snuggled under the covers as I lay in my bed.
The cat barrels in and disrupts my sleep.
I chase him away nothing needs to be said.
Back into bed to start counting some sheep.

I long to nestle myself in afghans, comforters, and throws.
Disappearing into their warmth and peaceful embrace.
Hiding from the commotion and fuss that continuously goes
All around me as I lay silently covering my face.

Occasionally I'll be spotted and lured from my nest.
I will get up to eat and to play now and then.
But nothing compares to what I like best
Warmly cuddled in my favorite blanket once again.

4 comments:

Koya Moon said...

ohhhhh little Walt! (I think Rubie and Walter were meant for eachother! Shhh...don't tell Uncle P's Sundance. He'd be furious. Hah.) Wonderful poem Luke. This is just the embodiment of such a peaceful and loving creature! Thank you.

Eva Marie Sutter said...

Boy! Walter is sure soft! How does he keep his coat so clean and soft? Maybe its all his beauty rest. Love the poem. Love the photo.

Aunt Sue said...

Luke! I love this tribute to Walter! Just to let you know, this poem could describe me most evenings as I tend toward winter hibernation - other than barking at the door, that is!

Aunt Sue said...

P.S. The photo of Walter so content, peeking from under the blanket gets a blue-ribbon! Love it!