Saturday, January 10, 2009

The Fire

Here is an old song parody that my cousins and I wrote in the summer of 1990. I'm not exactly sure that was the year, but I'm pretty sure since "We Didn't Start the Fire" was released in late 1989. The oldest of us was probably about ten at the time. This parody came about as a result of us discovering that we could set of dried leaves on fire with a magnifying glass. We would take a bunch of leaves, put them in a box and set them on fire; much to the dismay of our grandparents; whose house we would perform this act. We loved doing it so much, we decided to write a song about it. Fun times indeed. Enjoy!

Set to the tune of Billy Joel's number one hit single "We Didn't Start the Fire"

The Fire

We're gonna start a fire
With magnifier we will start the fire
We're gonna start a fire
With a hose beside us so it will not light us

Get a box, put leaves in, here's the sun now let's begin.
Dry leaves, sunny day, what else do we have to say?

We're gonna start a fire
With magnifier we will start the fire
We're gonna start a fire
With a hose beside us so it will not light us

Magnifier meets the sun, now the fun has begun.
Here comes smoke, then a flame, Nonna says it's not a game.

We're gonna start a fire
With magnifier we will start the fire
We're gonna start a fire
With a hose beside us so it will not light us

Get more sticks, get more leaves, from the field of dead soy beans.
Fuel we lay, flames will stay, Nonna says oi vay oi vay.

We're gonna start a fire
With magnifier we will start the fire
We're gonna start a fire
With a hose beside us so it will not light us

Iris ready with the hose, the smoke irritates your nose.
Flames go out, we are sad, Nonna seems very glad.

We're gonna start a fire
With magnifier we will start the fire
We're gonna start a fire
With a hose beside us so it will not light us

by: Eva, Iris, Luke, Katie, & Angela


Here is a scan of the original handwritten lyrics:



By the way, I don't remember why I wrote "We're gonna start a fire with a moon."

3 comments:

Aunt Sue said...

Maybe you were going to start another verse . . . ? So fun and creative - I love that you have the original handwritten copy!

Koya Moon said...

This is wonderful to see again. wow, I was so little...
I recall Nedra and Eva calling Z92-5 one afternoon and handing me the phone to request the DJ to play this song. I wasn't sure how to say it so I said, "Can you please start the fire???"
Everyone laughed at me and the DJ said, "I'm sorry youngin, I don't understand..."
Good times, I love the last line about the moon. I still believe it will be done!

flutterby said...

Fantastic reading and poor Nonna!
Thanks so much for sharing this.