Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Glass Lady Entry #4

When I met Jane and Nancy last Friday they diagnosed me with ‘glass fever’. They noted the most obvious behavioral signs: ‘skipping’ work and early hour 'Treasure Troving'. They explained that advanced cases actually have physical symptoms as well, most notably all-over 'itchiness'. I’ve arranged for Oliver to be opening the store until further notice.

Saturday went to Good’N’Thrifty and did not buy a book. Me, the Book Lady, did not buy a book! Looked at glassware, held glassware, put glassware in my basket and put glassware back on the shelf - vases, stemware, tumblers, candlesticks, cake plates, candy dishes, pitchers, compotes, cruets and more. In the end, I chose a single glass bowl. Marked down by half to fifty cents, the cashier and I had a good laugh at such extravagance. Apparently of Windsor pattern, manufactured in the ‘70s by the Federal Glass Company of Columbus, Ohio. Or is it? Federal Glass was bought out by Lancaster Colony, the parent company of Indiana Glass, who put this pattern into production as Royal Brighton in the early '80s. So, Windsor/Royal Brighton simple bowl reveals potential complexities of establishing pattern, date and maker. Even companies with a recognizable trademark did not always use it. I washed and dried the bowl, then put it in my cupboard.

Yesterday, Good’N’Thrifty again. Again, bought just one piece of glass – a ‘Depression-ish’ clear creamer. Same cashier, greeted me as the Glass Lady. Ha! I love my little mystery creamer, of unknown date, make and pattern.

Poring over the volumes of Gene Florence at every opportunity, I seem to have a knack for absorbing the contents, much like the ability to bring a Magic Eye 3D optical illusion into focus.

Millie just called! How do I condense a two hour conversation into a couple of lines? Millie spent the long weekend in St. Charles catching up with Laura. All her life Laura held the belief that she was an only child. But after her Mom’s passing, she was informed that she did have an older sister who died in the flood of ’36 at age seven, before Laura was born. All Mr. and Mrs. Davis had left after the devastation was a silver locket and little Mildred’s tea cup. Laura never knew that the heart-shaped locket her Mom wore continually contained a picture of Mildred. After Mrs. Davis passed away, Laura got the photo-locket and Millie got the Cherry Blossom tea cup. It was no wonder that Millie had been the favorite of Mrs. Davis – she shared the same name as her daughter and she shared a resemblance as well. Told Millie I bought a matching cup that she could give to Laura.

After one week of glass immersion, my timeline now divided: BG/AG

1 comment:

Eva Marie Sutter said...

Love BG/AG! And love reading about this glassware!