Saturday, February 21, 2009

Glass Lady Entry #2

It took me exactly three clicks to find out just what that darling tea cup is. Made of opaque blue glass, named delphite, it is part of a child’s 14-piece tea set made in the Cherry Blossom pattern by the Jeanette Glass Company. Cherry Blossom was one of two mold-etched patterns the company first came out with in 1930. Definitely a Depression glass item!

Why Millie does not go to the library and take the Intro to Internet class is beyond me. I’ve told her she doesn’t have to buy her own computer, she could use the computers at the library to her heart’s content. She’s so interested in a variety of subjects, and I always end up doing her research. I never mind doing it for her though, because she saved my life in a way, took me under her wing when we first moved here eight years ago. Talk about Southern hospitality! She invited the whole family over for dinner on the spot even though the 18-wheeled moving van blocked her driveway. We were initiated into the ways of Southern dining as night fell on the movers unloading the last of the boxes. She smiled and quickly looked the other way when I used the dainty serving spoon to spread the raspberry jam on the biscuits she baked for us. I didn’t know any better! Honestly! That was one of the longest, most tiring days of my life, but one of the happiest. I was Home.

Even though Millie is no-tech, or maybe because she is no-tech, could I wish for a better next-door neighbor? She is no-tech, but I’m low-tech myself. Sharon and Sandy keep mentioning their blog and how they want me to join. As if I could ever put a private thought out there on the World Wide Web for anyone and everyone to see! Sometimes it’s hard enough keeping up this diary, but I made a commitment to myself and I’m going to keep it.

I tried calling Millie to give her the update, but she didn't pick up. And of course she has no answering machine.

Tomorrow I’m going to stop by the Treasure Trove and take a little look around.

No comments: