Tuesday, February 17, 2009

February 17, 2009 Dear Diary

I'm still breaking my time up into intervals: walking and writing. Still writing my thesis. Some of my best ideas have come while hiking around in the fresh air. I write best standing up or submerged up to my neck in hot bathwater.
Even though I'm already a respected quantum physicist, I need to get this PhD, get my credentials in order.
Meeting Phil, my colleague, often for lunch at the Club. We sit in our usual place by the window and receive excellent service. The schnapps at the end is always on the house. Phil and I meet as a reprieve from the world of study and hypothesizing, so we keep our talk to the simple things we see going on outside the Club window. The lovers chatting arm in arm, the nannies pushing strollers, the shiny-shoed business man are all relaxing diversions. Sometimes we go for a walk together afterwords, slowly ramble along, watching the squirrels.
This particular afternoon, I had to get something off my chest. I asked Phil about the 'Observed as Observer' question that's been on my mind. I asked him if he ever felt that whatever he's observing, he's really looking into a 360 degree mirror, seeing only reflections of himself? He told me to give him an example.
I told him about the woman scientist who discovered plants that have growing cycles outside the normal cycles we've established: biennials, annuals, etc. She found plants that had previously been overlooked because of their unusual growing patterns. (The plants emerge every other 9th year) This specie was completely outside of the scientists' radar because these men of science were stuck in old observation patterns. I told him that I felt that as I did my own research, I felt that I, too, locked myself into a box when I observe, limiting myself to my own experiences. Did he have any suggestions as to how I could break down my conceptual boundaries? Was he encountering the same difficulties as I? And if and when I break down my conceptual boundaries, what grand discoveries would await me?
But, Phil didn't have any input.
He lit his pipe and chuckled, pointing to some squirrels chasing each other up a tree.

2 comments:

flutterby said...

Gawd, I love that kind of thinking. Tell me more! Quantum physics, 10 dimensions, leaves nothing to the impossible. That's where science and spiritual beliefs will merge someday (I hope).

Koya Moon said...

great! lets discuss this tonight over tea, shall we?