Sunday, May 10, 2009

It's Only Money

"Ms Petska, Ms Byrd, I brought you here today to discuss your Uncle Jim's will and the inheritance that you will both be receiving from it."

"Honestly, Mr Brandt, I didn't know Uncle Jim had included us in his will. This is a complete surprise to my sister and I. Right Beth?"

"Hell yes, Kit. I had no clue."

" The amount you will each receive is substantial, but there are some stipulations in the will regarding the release of these funds to you."

"What kind of stipulations?"

"Well, Ms Petska."

"Call me Kit, please."

"All right. As you know, Kit, your uncle was quite the entrepreneur. He believed in free enterprise and was able to amass this huge estate because of his success. He wants to pass this opportunity on to you, his nieces. Give you a chance to build a business of your own, with a little financial help from him. It's a great opportunity for both of you."

"That's wonderful. Don't you think Beth? Our own businesses. I could open the knitting shop I've always dreamed of."

"A business? But I already have a job. Why would I want a business?"

"Everyone wants a business of their own Beth."

"No, not everyone. I don't want one. I've never liked being in charge. I hate the pressure of being responsible for everything. I just want to put in my forty hours and go home. I want to travel and garden and feed the birds and squirrels in my back yard. Maybe volunteer more often. Couldn't I just do that with the money?"

"No, Ms Byrd. I'm afraid not. Your Uncle was very specific in his will regarding the use of your inheritance. Either you invest in a business of your own, or you get nothing."

"But why? Who says owning a business is more important than just living, just breathing every day? Why must everyone have a goal? Isn't being alive good enough?"

"Beth. You're being silly. Just take the money and we'll figure something out for you. You like to cook. You could open a restaurant."

"A restaurant? Are you kidding? I cook because it relaxes me. I volunteer at the soup kitchen because its fun and it feels good. What part of putting out cookie cutter meals for nameless, thankless people seems fun to you?"

"Come on Sis, be reasonable. There must be something you've always wanted to build, to achieve, to leave as a legacy. Like Uncle Jim did."

"Yeah. A family, a relationship, friends, and an appreciation for just breathing in and out every day. I've done that. I'm doing that. I want people to know that I loved them and that I gave everything I had to make life better for myself and for them. That's my legacy. A business is just money and I earn all I need at my job. I don't want the money Mr Brandt. Give it to my sister. Hell give it to whoever you'd like."

"But Ms Byrd, This is the chance of a lifetime and you're just throwing it away."

"That's your opinion. I've had a lifetime already and I don't need any more chances. I'm happy. Life is good. It's only money, only money."

4 comments:

garrett said...

There is a valuable lesson to be learned here. I really like what you've presented.

Eva Marie Sutter said...

WOAH! What a turn-about! This rocks!

Luke Leger said...

Really well done, flutterby. Way to turn this topic on it's head.

Koya Moon said...

great perspective shown here!