Wednesday, December 24, 2008

Embracing Cash

Dad: Y-y-yell-o?

Daughter: Hi, Dad, how are you?

Dad: All the better for hearing your voice.

Daughter: Do you have a coupla minutes for dream therapy?

Dad: For you, I’ve all the time in the world . . .

Daughter: I just had a dream about J. C.

Dad: Jesus Christ?

Daughter: No, Johnny Cash.

Dad: Was he dressed in black?!

Daughter: Actually, yes, but his black clothes were in sharp contrast to the white floor and decor. He stood in the front of a room, in the center of a smooth inlaid white circle, as if the outline of a spotlight had been traced there. But the floor was in no way raised up – he wasn’t on a stage. Although I didn’t see anyone else, he looked ready to address a group, and seemed to enjoy being on their level. Hey, I’m just remembering you were dressed in black when I dreamed about seeing you by chance in a coffee shop. Did that have any meaning? You never used to wear a black shirt – I don’t think you even owned one.

Dad: The black is a simple statement, a reminder.

Daughter: Of what?

Dad: That although we’ve crossed the fifty per cent line, we could do better, we must do better!

Daughter: The fifty per cent line?

Dad: Your lovely planet is now more light than dark, more love than fear . . . and only a conscious-full momentum on an individual basis will keep it heading in that direction. So did Johnny have his guitar slung across his back?

Daughter: No he didn’t have anything with him at all - no guitar, no microphone, no band. Just Johnny.

Dad: Just standing there?

Daughter: Yep, just like in yoga - mountain pose! He turned slightly toward me and smiled when he saw me approach. You know, you were smiling in that coffee shop dream, too . . .

Dad: The smile is a simple statement, a reminder of . . .

Daughter: . . . of 'love and laughter'? That's how you signed your photo! But what about Johnny himself?

Dad: Well, he certainly faced powerful addictions, and overcame them in the end.

Daughter: Gives me hope for all the addictive situations that have challenged me. He received and then created a world of hurt in his life, before he saw the light. It’s good to know he survives and thrives in spite of it all.

Dad: More accurately, because of it all! What about the spotlight?

Daughter: In the dream I was about to embrace Johnny, to enter that symbolic spotlight, but here I avoid the spotlight at all costs. I never seem to have anything to say.

Dad: You’re talking to me right now . . .

Daughter: True, I spoke in the dream, too. I was so incredibly glad to see Johnny that I didn’t hesitate to go right up to him and say, “What’re
you doing here?” He replied, “What’re you doing here?”

Dad: Ha! He turned the tables on you, answered your question with your own question!

Daughter: I know, smiling all the while! As if he already knew his purpose, just standing there with an easy, confident peace. Maybe I should focus on “What
am I doing here”. Hmmm . . . seems to be a recurrent dream theme.

Dad: Wait ‘til tonight’s dream!

Daughter: What? I’m calling you for dream therapy and now you’re giving me the impression that
you yourself have something to do with creating my dreams in the first place?

Dad: Let’s just say, that in tonight's dream, you should be on the look-out for a little newborn babe . . .

Daughter: Jesus Christ?

Dad: Not exactly, but some might say . . .

Daughter: There are no babies in my life! In fact, there’s talk of having to face yet another imminent family upheaval.

Dad: You can get through it. Be patient, be patient. Remember . . .
on an individual basis . . .

Daughter: I don't know how this time!

Dad: It's okay to not know!

Daughter: And you’re not here any more! Gone are the days when you could make everything better by the simple act of handing me your hankie! Oh! All those times! Were you . . . you were! You were just making a simple statement!

Dad: Yes! But you’re long past needing my handkerchief. In fact, you continue to be stronger than you think. Your sensitivity is not weakness! Just keep doing what you’re doing!

Daughter: What’s that?

Dad: Keep nursing, nurturing the gift of Divine Joy!

Daughter: Thanks for the reminder, Dad. And Merry Christmas.

Dad: Froehliche Weihnachten! Merry Christmas, dear heart.

5 comments:

flutterby said...

You waited until the last possible Moment to meet the dialog deadline and this is what came from waiting? It's such an eerie look into the other world, and yet beautifuly insiteful. It took my breath away. I loved it!
Did you work at this? Or did it flow naturally at the last minute?
You are amazing.

Koya Moon said...

This healed parts of me I didn't know I had. And means more to me than you'll ever know. People I know who have passed on, are just as alive and present beside me, thanks to dreams...and to stories like this.

Rudy said...

Well written! The dialog flowed, and the content was great!

Regards,

Rudy

Luke Leger said...

I really enjoyed this dialog. I didn't want the conversation to end. It's always so much fun to talk about dreams!

Aunt Sue said...

Thank you all for the kind words! This story took an unplanned twist as Dad became Dream-master - perhaps I will add to it. If so, I'll keep you 'posted'!