Thursday, July 1, 2010

A Sincere Apology

I just want to apologize for not writing anything for the June topic. The month kind of got away from me and before I knew it, July was here and I hadn't written a thing. Please understand that I didn't completely forget about Ditalini Press during the month of June. I thought about sitting down and writing a fib few times throughout the month, but every time I did, something prevented me from following through.

I actually had something written fairly early in the month, which is rare for me. I’m not too proud to say it was a masterpiece, some of my finest work. I was in the living room making the final edits to my epic tale when my laptop crashed. It completely froze, and I had to take out the battery just to get it to shut down. When I turned the laptop back on, my operating system wouldn't even load. The laptop was dead and my whole story was gone; I was too devastated to start writing again. So, I abandoned that idea and waited for inspiration to strike again.

It was about two weeks later when I finally had another idea for a story. My laptop was still inoperable, so I had to type it on my desktop computer. When I got to the computer, the keyboard was gone! I looked outside and saw the kids swinging by the cord over their heads as if to use it as some sort of makeshift weapon. I ran outside to stop them and was struck in the head. When I regained consciousness, I was no longer in the mood to write, so I put it off for another few days. The kids said the whole ordeal was an accident, but the 'destroy dad' carvings on the keyboard hinted otherwise. I guess I spend too much time on the computer.

With the end of the month looming, I decided just to type my story at work. Not the most inspirational of places, but at least I'd get something done. I logged on, got situated, and then, out of nowhere, the bio hazard alarm sounded. I spent the rest of the day crammed in a tiny room with all my co-workers until we were told the alarm must have just malfunctioned. Hooray. On the bright side, I at least got to help tape the doors to prevent any airborne pathogens from getting in; and was able to see my family again, too. Needless to say, I didn't get my story written that day either.

So, here we are, July first, and I still am without a story. It's not like I didn't try though; a few extenuating circumstances just got in my way. I hope you understand.

5 comments:

Jeffrey James Ircink said...

hey man...stuff happens. i'll probably post my June story mid-July. ;)

Koya Moon said...

Wow Luke! I would say "NO EXCUSES", but for one thing I didn't post the June topic either, and for another you actually had some AMAZING excuses!! I'm just glad to hear you're alright! :0)

Wait though...this isn't just some genius move to trick us is it? Is this post your actual topic assignment? Was this all a tall tale/fibbery at its finest?? Please tell, we're on the edges of our seats here!!

Luke Leger said...

Well....I have to admit I may have bent the truth ever so slightly. :)

Eva Marie Sutter said...

Clever! Such a fun read! 'destroy dad' hahaha

Aunt Sue said...

So great, Luke - I especially love the workplace scenario!