Friday, February 12, 2010

THE SIZES OF PAST LIVES' INSIDES....


What's death like? I image it being a lot like when I wasn't born yet. I don't remember it. But I'm here. Hey, maybe I'll take another form after this body expires. And maybe I took a different form prior to this one. Can dreams give me glimpses of my past forms? I have no idea. But I have had two dreams where I was in another body different from the one I'm in right now (and this one keeps changing, too!) Here, I'll tell you briefly about them.
I had this dream when I was a teen vacationing with my family in Bathe, England: I'm a buff Roman soldier with crested headgear and all the regalia. I'm with my dad who is also a soldier. He looks pretty similar to how he looks today and we're best friends. We're super tan. I woke up and said, 'Hey dad, I had a dream that we were both Roman soldiers.' He said we probably really were. When all my girlfriends were pretty much into drooling over Donnie from The New Kids on the Block, I was into sketching Ancient Roman ruins.
I had the second dream also when I was a teenager. I am seated before a gilded mirror, staring at myself. And yikes, I'm a really, really old French woman. I am so old that I look faded, like I have white powder all over me. The worst part is that I'm super stale with boredom and so lonely that I'm ready to die. My apartment is small, dusty, with tall windows, and the little dog on my lap doesn't even give me relief from the minutes ticking away with numbing slowness. I think I have dementia.
Was I a really a Roman soldier or a senile senior? I don't know.
In fact, I don't know if conjuring up these possible past life dreams is of any value to someone living a rich and full life. Ready to drop the past and be bold in the now with me?

4 comments:

J Power said...

Freud believed that dreams were "private myths." If not of the nature of past lives, these dreams at least serve as meaningful models of your life. I personally would investigate further. I am a fellow dream enthusiast, so thank you for sharing!

Eva Marie Sutter said...

Thanks for your thoughtful comment, J Power, I'm taking it to heart.

khaskoo said...

Very nice Eva.
I loved that glorious life as
a Roman soldier. This was where I
felt most alive, as far as I can
recall. My mom used to see this in
me when I was young. I thought
1st grade might be something like
gladiator training. I cried when
I found out it was like a prison.
I don't think anyone understands how
much I dislike the 21st century.
heh-heh.

Luke Leger said...

I've never had such a dream, at least from what I can remember. Thank you for sharing them with us, Eva. I agree, live for today!