Thursday, February 25, 2010

Pythagoras Memory Exercise

I had read about this a few years ago.
Pythagoras did claim to remember some of his past lives.
He suggested before retiring at night to retrace and replay the days activities
in the mental view screen. Do this as vividly as possible until you end up
at the point of rising from bed. Go further and recall the dreams you may have had
before waking. Do this every evening. The reflex developed will allow the practicitioner
to begin reaching back into the bank of stored memories before this present life.

..also the verses of this boisterous WW2 General
seem to put him out of step with 20th century thinking.
This is only about half of the poem.


THROUGH A GLASS, DARKLY
by Gen. George S. Patton, Jr.

Through the travail of the ages,
Midst the pomp and toil of war,
Have I fought and strove and perished
Countless times upon this star.

In the form of many people
In all panoplies of time
Have I seen the luring vision
Of the Victory Maid, sublime.

I have battled for fresh mammoth,
I have warred for pastures new,
I have listed to the whispers
When the race trek instinct grew.

I have sinned and I have suffered,
Played the hero and the knave;
Fought for belly, shame, or country,
And for each have found a grave.

I cannot name my battles
For the visions are not clear,
Yet, I see the twisted faces
And I feel the rending spear.

So as through a glass, and darkly
The age long strife I see
Where I fought in many guises,
Many names, but always me.

And I see not in my blindness
What the objects were I wrought,
But as God rules o'er our bickerings
It was through His will I fought.

So forever in the future,
Shall I battle as of yore,
Dying to be born a fighter,
But to die again, once more.

2 comments:

Eva Marie Sutter said...

Thanks for sharing this exercise and the poem. "If you could invite anyone to dinner who would you invite?" Pythagoras!

khaskoo said...

I would still challenge Pythagoras to
an evening setting.

And as of late, I would invite
Alexander the Terrible as well.