Tuesday, February 2, 2010

The Bear

gradual...uninterrupted by the motion of the leaves lighting the ocean of trees, the bear stood before me and out of me he began the ways of the bear. i swayed open to the trunk of the vastness of bark which engaged my core and allowed my spine to become one with the innermost climbing oak. the bear looked into my eyes. i saw pure spirit of bear which took my mind to a place of rocky precipices and geysers awakened in the earth. he lay beside the small pool soaking in heat and the day itself, his moans were heard by the sparrows and ravens in the woods where i sit against the trees. his heavy paws engaged his senses to his surroundings, a tender giant in the stone planet. swift twitches to the tickling breezes were his overcoat, massive, heavy and not yet quite dry. soon he would be at the base of the mountain, but for now he settles in thought, quietly fortunate for his ability to smell his next action. blooming larkspur licks the air with sacred scent. familiar with the flowers he gazes upon the petals in comfort and eases dangerously close to sleep. he has much to do still this dry day. the moderate clouds dance near peaks of his den and he glances toward the woods, beckoning me to go with him, toward unspoken destinies ...



*Bear painting by Marion Rose
*

6 comments:

Eva Marie Sutter said...

God, I love the way you write, Katie. I felt the 'essence of bear' like I've never felt it before. Is he your totem?

SNAKEHORN said...

Holy Moses Katie!

castillo de sallas said...

Go with bear.

J Power said...

Very, very nice. Listen to Koala.

belairjeff said...

great descriptive words, katie.

belairjeff said...

someone refresh my memory...how do you sign in so your picture appears next to your comment??