Sunday, July 17, 2011

Illumination Round-Robin - Sunspots on Wildcat Creek

The final lines of the "Illumination" poem by J Power:

"
Seeing the water
I sat down and said to myself,
'We can be as beautiful as we want to be.'
"

inspired me to select this photo for the Illumination Round-Robin. Taken from the south bank of the Wildcat Creek, just a few yards downstream from the Adams Mill covered bridge, the uneven surface of the water produces not a single reflection of the afternoon sun, but rather turns the sun into hundreds of sunspots. This is fitting, since the image was captured shortly after leaving a reunion picnic of employees of the Sunspot Natural Market, owned by my sister, Joan. The Sunspot Natural Market has two locations, one in Kokomo, Indiana and the other in West Lafayette, Indiana, and is in its 34th year of operation. The event was held on the grounds of Adams Mill, which was constructed on the Wildcat Creek in 1845.

This photograph was taken on July 4, 2011.



4 comments:

J Power said...

That is excellent. The creek I speak of in the poem is the Wildcat and it is also the creek featured at the end of the film I made. It is comforting to know that in another space it connects with the people there also. I have been making an effort to get my poetry manuscript published entitled "Where the Honey meets the Wildcat." It is a reference to where the Honey Creek flows into the Wildcat. It is near that place where although I do not live there, I call it home.

Aunt Sue said...

On the surface of the water, I see the sunspots form a large 5-pointed star amidst many smaller stars.

Luke Leger said...

I see the star too! Beautiful picture, Uncle Lee.

Uncle Lee said...

Hi J. Wow! What a coincidence that we both chose the Wildcat Creek! Although today, people tend to think of being connected by land routes (lanes, streets, highways), it wasn't so very long ago that waterways (creeks, rivers, canals, lakes) were the major means of medium- to long-distance connection.