Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Twice Told

I found this while I was digging through a box full of stuff from my old room. It is from a journal that I had to write for English class in high school. Based on some of the other journal entries, I think it was my junior year. I don't remember writing this; I thought my post, Shift Into Dream, here on the Ditalini Press was the first time I wrote about this dream. I got a kick out of it when I found it and I thought I would share it with all of you. I hope you enjoy it, and I apologize that it is basically a repost of a story I have already told.

There is a dream that I had when I was about three or four that I think I will always remember. I was at some kind of amusement park with my parents and there were hot air balloons. I wanted to go on a balloon ride so bad, but my parents would not let me go. I was extremely upset because I could not go on a balloon ride. So I took it upon myself to get on a balloon all by myself. I thought if I got in, my parents would get in and they would like it so much that they would want to stay. So I got in the basket that was attached to the balloon, and the balloon started to go up. Remember that I was only about three in this dream and I could not have operated the balloon all by myself. I needed the help of an adult. So far my dream has been a little bit mild, and someone might think why in the world would you remember a dream like this? The next part of my dream will hopefully explain why this dream is etched into my memory.
I was going up in the hot air balloon and I started to cry, I wanted to stop going up, I wanted my parents to be with me. I was sure that they would somehow stop the balloon and bring me back down to safety. While I was crying I looked down to the ground to see if anyone was trying to stop the balloon. No one was trying to stop it. All I saw was my parents laughing and waving to me like they were glad that I was leaving. Even though they saw that I was crying they kept the smiles on their faces, and kept waving. They kept getting smaller and smaller, and when they were almost totally out of sight, I woke up.
I was sleeping on my back, and as my eyes opened it looked as if there were clouds on the ceiling. The clouds faded away, and my mom was in the room with me folding laundry. When she saw that I was awake she looked over at me and smiled.

3 comments:

Aunt Sue said...

No apology needed, Luke! Fascinating to see the same dream told in a slightly different way - this post definitely fills the bill of Something Old with a Synchronistic Twist! Love that you mentioned your Mom's smile - in the dream and after you woke up!

Koya Moon said...

The last two sentences are priceless. Wow. I loved reading this version and seeing how it differed from your more recent post of the same dream. Thanks for sharing it.

SomeCallMeTim said...

This is really cool! You apologized for telling the same story twice, but I think that is the beauty of it! The story has remained intact in your brain almost totally unchanged for years. I think that is incredible. Awesome!