Monday, September 21, 2015

Off Topic; if you will permit me a moment

Fragile. A simple word that we use to describe babies, glass, emotions, and myriad other things. Last night I was reminded the most fragile thing of all is life. Teenagers are a rough sort. We view them as impulsive and reckless. We see them as brilliant and stupid at the same time. We see them as the traditional paradox of, "can't live with them, can't live without them!" Believe me there is no truer statement than that. I taught middle school kids for 11 years and the one word to describe that time is frustrating. It's frustrating to not know how they will turn out. To not know which ones will end up as Rhodes Scholars or teen moms. It's frustrating to know it will be years before they truly find themselves. Last night, I saw how frustrating and fragile come together to create sorrow. David was a kid with an easy smile and a quick wit. Always willing to engage in banter, thought provoking discussion, or a prank to get a quick laugh. He frustrated me because he used his smile to mask hurt and frustration. That same desire to laugh easily hid his deeper emotions much of the time. Often his release of those frustrations came on the ball field or basketball court. Last night frustrating and fragile came together. Sorrow and sadness visits in its wake. A family ripped to shreds. A town in shock. Friends hollowed out. Never say enough. Never quit. Reach out. Someone cares. I know my town did. I know I did. Goodbye David

2 comments:

Luke Leger said...

Thank you for sharing this on our forum, Josh. You are permitted as many moments as you need. I'm searching, but I can't even find the right words to offer some sort of comfort. Praying for you and David's family and friends.

Koya Moon said...

I'm so sorry to hear about your tragic loss. I'll be sending loving and peaceful thoughts to your whole community. David sounded wonderful. Please post anything you like here, anytime. Your words are very powerful and resonant, I almost felt like I had known David myself.