Monday, February 28, 2011

You better run, squirrel!

I'm not really a fan of New Year's resolutions, but I have to admit, they do motivate me.  Last year, I participated in the Haynes Apperson Festival four-mile run in July.  I would like to say I ran it, but I did quite a bit more walking than running.  My resolution for this year is to participate in the Haynes Apperson and run the whole four miles.  I guess it may be more of a goal than a resolution.

Running has always intimidated me, and I think my struggles with it were more mental than physical.  I have to admit that I am growing to enjoy it; especially running outside as opposed to on the treadmill.  I still have a long way to go before I can run a solid four mile stretch, but no one said New Year's resolutions are supposed to be easy!

2 comments:

flutterby said...

Two of my daughters are runners and they will tell you that almost every time they prepare for a 5k or 12k it's 80% mental and 20% physical. They always struggle with the first two miles and often fight every single minute to keep going. I simply don't see the fun in that but they swear its an amazing high.

Luke Leger said...

I haven't really felt the high while running, but I do feel great afterwards. Hopefully I'll get there.