Sunday, February 27, 2011

My Thoughts on An Object of Beauty

I am not at all familiar with the world of art that extends beyond my children's drawings that hang on my refrigerator, so reading An Object of Beauty was a learning experience for me. Because I know very little about art and the culture surrounding it, at times I found myself wanting to skim through the descriptions of the works of art that are throughout the book, but I persevered and learned that while I may not understand what makes a person want to spend thousands of dollars on a piece of art I can respect that they do.

The main character's personality and story are what really kept me interested in this book. To me it seems the main character, Lacey Yeager, uses any means necessary to work her way up in the art world from a clerk in the basement of Sotheby's to eventually owning her own gallery. Her relationship's with people more often than not revolved around what a person can do for her and her career than her actually being a friend. I found the stories of her escapades much more interesting than the descriptions of the various work of art she comes across. I often found myself wanting to like her, but never really being able to.

I enjoyed reading An Object of Beauty because it made me look at another slice of the world. Although I will probably always be someone who takes a quick look at a painting and then moves on to the next, I will remember that while I take it for what it is, there is always a different way to see it. I learned that while it may just look like a painting of a field there is always more than what meets the eye. All you have to do is look.

3 comments:

Eva Marie Sutter said...

Beautifully written review, Valerie!
I agree that I never was able to like Lacey!

flutterby said...

I could not get past the trip to Russia. Honestly I hate the fact that art is judged by ? I mean what makes it worth what it is? I just don't get it and I don't think I ever will. Thank you for being honest Valerie. Give me a child's rendition of a sunset, posted on your refrigerator any day over a Rembrandt. I'm just being honest too.

Aunt Sue said...

Welcome to dP, Miss Von! Loved reading your take on this book!

I'm not too familiar, either, with the world of art, art history and art auctions, so I at first started taking book notes, then changed course and just enjoyed!