Thursday, January 21, 2010

Enjoy


To get through self-doubting kinds of struggles, I've found two techniques that help.
I'll tell how I recently put them to use when I took a job teaching English to French professionals. The idea of it scared the crap out of me.
So knowing I'd be the leader of an unknown group, with unknown levels, and unknown goals, I kept myself together using Wayne Dyer's phrase, "I want to feel good." I love this phrase. Anytime I had one tinge of nervous stomach, it was nullified when I said it. And also with meditation. Daily, I softly chant a mantra and visually create a self who gets answers to all of her questions and cares. And the answers come, too. This time in the form of a sunny card from a friend that read, "He gives us richly all things to enjoy. Timothy 6:17." Just when I thought I couldn't muster the strength to tell adults to 'not be late again' and doubting my answers to another grammar question 'but there are exceptions,' I got this note that helped trigger real enjoyment of it all.
Even a colleague, a woman who has taught for over twenty years, asked me how I could possibly remain so calm? I told her it was because I did yoga. It was a half truth. Although I do yoga, I think it was these two techniques that helped the most. All that remained to do really was just show up, and enjoy.

2 comments:

khaskoo said...

Above all else, I admire this most
about your essence. It is genuine
and real.

Luke Leger said...

It is important to enjoy what you do; and maintaining a belief and graceful poise is invaluable.