Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Rippling Sky

"You have got to be kidding me!"
"No! Look! Right over there! Don't you see it?"
"Stop it, Alan! You know I hate it when you do this kind of stuff."
"Sorry, Sarah. I was just having a little fun. But wouldn't it be cool if we saw a real UFO?"
"Cool? More like terrifying."
"Whatever."
"What, you really think if you really saw one, you would be excited? I would pee my pants."
"Sissy."
"Don't 'sissy' me, Alan! You can honestly say you wouldn't be the least bit freaked out?"
"I don't know. I mean, I've always wanted to see one. I just think it would be neat."
"Well, I don't."
"Fine."

"What was that? Did you see that, Alan?"
"What?"
"Didn't you see it?"
"What!?"
"It was almost like the whole sky just shimmered."
"Shimmered?"
"Yeah. It was like a ripple went through the whole sky."
"Shut up."
"I'm serious!"
"Did you pee your pants?"
"Stop it. I can't believe you didn't see it!"
"I must've been looking at something else."
"What else could you have been looking at? It's like all we can see is the sky."
"Well, I didn't see it, Sarah."
"Why are you acting so strange, Alan? Is something wrong?"
"No. Nothing's wrong."
"I don't believe you."
"Fine."

"You still there?"
"Yes, Sarah, I'm still here. Where would I go?"
"Just checking, it's almost like you weren't there for a minute."
"Why, what's wrong?"
"Nothing. I just feel funny...different."
"What do you mean?"
"I don't know. Something's strange, I don't feel normal."
"Why don't we just count the stars?"
"No. Something's wrong. Maybe I just need something to drink; could I have the water?"
"Hmm, I must have drunk it all, but I have this."
"Where'd you get that? What is it?"
"Some new energy drink I picked up at the store the other day. Try it, it's supposed to be pretty good."
"No thanks."
"Try it. I've heard good things about it."
"I said I don't want it."
"Fine."

"Did you feel that?"
"Sorry?"
"It was almost like a little earthquake."
"Maybe it was, Sarah, you should go back to sleep."
"I was sleeping? I need to be getting home! What time is it? … There it is again! Look at the sky!"
"Sarah..."
"Oh my God! The sky! It's...what is happening?!"
"Sarah..."
"I feel like I'm moving! Alan! What's happening to me?! The sky is breaking! It's disappearing!"
"Sarah...you're leaving."
"Leaving! Where am I going?"
"Don't worry; you're going to be alright, it doesn't usually happen like this."
"Alan!"
"You'll be fine."

"Alan..."
"Sarah!"
"Alan...what just happened?"
"That's what I want to know! Where have you been?"
"What do you mean where have I been?! I’ve been with you!"
"No you haven’t! I was talking to you one minute and then it was like you just disappeared. I thought you were mad at me for talking about UFO's."
"Alan! Look!"
"No way!"
"Could it be?"
"I think I just peed my pants."
"Do you think?"
"I gotta get out of here! What if it comes down and gets us?"
"I think it already did."
"You mean...that's where you think you went??"
"Yeah..."
"Why aren't you freaking out?"
"I don't know."
"What do you mean you don't know!? You think you were just in that thing, yet your acting like nothing happened!"
"Oddly enough, I feel fine."

2 comments:

Eva Marie Sutter said...

I love it, Luke! You captured perfectly that exhilaration/confusion feeling when faced with something abnormal, and in the form of a dialogue between the really likable Alan and Sarah! Great!

Aunt Sue said...

Luke, way to express to concepts of 'alien contact' and 'missing time' purely through dialog - excellent!