Sunday, July 12, 2009

Dear DP

Hi. I'm a Buddhist monk and my Master has just died. We've completed the cremation ceremony and I am very sad. He's been with me since I was thirteen, always there to tell me what to do and how. I feel lost. I met with the Dalai Lama yesterday who examined the cremation ceremonial ashes and all the signs were there that Master has already been reincarnated: cremation pearls, swirls in the cinders, and a footprint under a stone with the big toe pointing east. The Dalai Lama, despite my pleas that I am under qualified, thinks that I am the one who can properly identify him again in his new physical form. Frankly, I'm scared and don't know where to start. I need advice.
Cordially yours,
Buddhist in a Bind

2 comments:

Aunt Sue said...

Dear Bound Buddhist,

Your fear will most certainly prevent you from recognizing your former Master. Didn't He set the example of walking in faith?

Follow that example of unshakable faith to disperse and dispel the fear. In this way, every one of your senses is heightened, restoring the knowingness you can depend on. Whether it be waking dream symbol or lucid noctural meeting, you will not fail to recognize this One when the time is right.

Oh! And also, if your Master had distinctive physical features, know that these are oft-repeated upon the quick return to earth. Look for them.

Yours-ever,
DP

Luke Leger said...

Dear Buddhist in a Bind,
First of all, I would like to offer my condolences on the loss of your master. With not a lot of experience or knowledge of your beliefs, I fear that I may not be of much help to you. I do not know where to tell you to start as far as being able to identify your master in his new physical form; however, I do know that you must have confidence and be able to believe in yourself. Your master has been teaching you and guiding you for so long that I know you will do fine on your own. Do not think about it too much, and remember, one of the best ways to find something is to stop looking for it.
dP