Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Excerpt from, "The Siege of Lucknow".


"Dear to the corn-land reaper
And plaided mountaineer -
To the cottage and the castle
The piper's song is dear.
Sweet sounds the Gaelic pibroch
O'er mountain, glen, and glade;
But the sweetest of all music
The pipes at Lucknow played!"


- from "The Pipes at Lucknow", by John Greenleaf Whittier, an American poet from the 19th century. The Siege of Lucknow, which lasted from July 2 - November 16, 1857, took place during the Indian Mutiny in 1857-58.

I love the bagpipes. Happy St. Patrick's Day to all of you.

3 comments:

Eva Marie Sutter said...

Nice photo! I love the bagpipes too. They stir something up inside me and make me cry.

Luke Leger said...

Wonderful poem. Thanks for the post.

Eva Marie Sutter said...

Jeff, I went to your blog to investigate one of your posts and MAN did I hear bag pipes! (for some reason the volume on my computer was pumped up to the MAX)