Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Home Life HOMEBuzz

Welcome Dear Readers! We were overwhelmed with responses to our October Buzz Reader Challenge: Yester-Shui in 1000 words or less. Our winner embodies the theme of Timeless Treasure and even introduces a Shui Today challenge of her own! Here then . . .

Ripples in Time
by Lucy Switzer

It’s been said that the most loving thing you can do for someone is to cover them. To cover them with a gift of a handmade blanket then is so much the better. Mom received such a gift almost fifty years ago. Our family moved from Buffalo to the Chicago suburb of Mount Prospect when I was just a babe-in-arms. Not knowing anyone in the area, Mom’s anxiety eased when greeted after church one Sunday. “Hi, I’m Jo.” Those three words launched a lifelong family friendship. Jo was a good bit older than Mom; her youngest child was the same age as Mom’s oldest, my only brother.

My earliest, most vivid impression of Jo was when she visited one autumn afternoon. As I played on the backyard glider, she approached the garden gate. Noticing from afar the radiant white hair and navy dress, she looked for all-the-world like Grandma Switzer. “Gamma! Gamma!” I called, running on pudge-legs, knowing she would pick me up and hold me for awhile. That was the day she gave Mom the gift, the first time I ever saw the hand-crocheted green rippled afghan. I loved it on sight. All five of us kids loved it.

At first, it was when I wasn’t feeling well that the afghan comforted me most, as Mom covered me. I was allowed to rest in the living room, but had to stay still for hours or even days at a time. I used to count the rows of rich color, ranging from Deep Forest to Chartreuse. I traced the peaks and valleys, now so obvious a metaphor for life itself. How could these zigzags be formed with just ball of yarn and hook? It posed a puzzle-wonderment to my young mind as I examined the soft stitches. I knew then, even at that early age, that I could no more make a life out of anything hard or heavy than I could spend but a moment with one who chooses hard harsh words. Nursing would eventually become my career, replicating the caring comfort Mom gave to me, multiplied.

As I grew older, I’d reach for the afghan, chilled from eating mint chocolate chip ice cream while watching TV with Dad; Fractured Fairy Tales were a guarantee of his laughter’s tears. Later still, I’d sit as close as I could to the stereo listening to the latest album my brother brought home on college break, memorizing the lyrics . . . The Magical Mystery Tour is waiting to take you away . . . Or, during our legendary winters, there I’d be, ignoring my pile of homework, preferring my stack of library finds, literally ‘curled up with a good book’.

Whenever we asked Jo why such a generous gift from the heart, this labor of love, she simply twinkled, “Sometimes no reason is the best reason of all!” Did she have any inkling of how much her gift meant to us, that it would seem to take on a life of its own, creating far-reaching waves? We simply called it ‘The Green Blanket’ as if it was the only green blanket in the house. Just short of becoming Real, it taught us the art of sharing, the stirrings of compassion. Always near-to-hand, it seemed to show up in the background of so many candid photos and Christmas home movies.

A dozen grandkids came along, three of them my own children. They used the well-worn afghan for play, covering each other as they snuggled in laundry basket beds, keeping each other “cozy-warm”. All-so-soon, great-grandchildren are arriving. Now nearing ninety, as Mom and Dad sit for multi-generational photos, ‘The Green Blanket’ is featured a-purpose, the ultimate symbol of family continuity.

I took early retirement last month when our village craft shoppe came up for sale. Yarrow’s Yarn & Yardage is my favorite get-away spot, my place to be where daily dilemmas fade, allowing dreams to focus. Here, infinite possibilities exist. Here, most Wednesday evenings, Jo had volunteered to teach me and a close community all variety of needle arts. For some reason I never attempted a ripple throw. But now I’m sure it’s time.

This morning saw my first customer come in offering an overstuffed box of fabric remnants, yarns, vintage patterns and books; a veritable craftwork cache. “I saw your Grand Opening sign,” she said by way of explanation. From St. Clara’s Eldercare, where Jo had chosen to spend her last year over a decade ago, the box had been found while clearing a storage room. Peering into that box was like peering into the soul of my youth, for there on top was a title I had received when I turned thirteen, Ripples Step-by-Step. Sense-waves tingling, breathing deeply, I opened it daring to find an inscription. I wasn’t disappointed: For Lucy, Always Remember, Today’s Creations = Tomorrow’s Connections! Love, Jo. So, on my momentous day, I heart-clutch a gift I thought long lost, feeling as though Jo had just picked me up and would be holding me awhile. Dear Jo, I'll "always remember . . . "

In honor of artists gone before us, this is our challenge then - let’s make or purchase a handcrafted blanket – a fabric quilt or appliqué, knit or crochet afghan or perhaps, polar fleece tied-fringe throw. Then consider donating it to one of the following more-than-worthy recipients. Let’s create ripples of love – waves of memory!

www.projectlinus.org

www.binkypatrol.com

Post Script: Last year at our annual family Christmas gift exchange, I received a soft blanket. I love it so - who wouldn’t love a blanket?! I am convinced that by no mere chance is it green, although a shade not found in the afghan of yesteryear. Soothing sage, it speaks to me of wisdom, the wisdom of the spirit of love in which it was given. It is not rippled, but I know that gift carries and covers me with unseen ripples of love.

We are please to announce that based on Lucy’s entry, Home Life’s publisher, Ditalini Press, will be releasing Ripples in Time – Little Yarns of Care • Comfort • Co-incidence, 365 Ripples – A•Wave•a•Day Calendar and Mini-Ripples – Baby’s First Year Keepsake. We are calling for quotes and short stories of care, comfort, and co-incidence for possible inclusion.

November Buzz Reader Challenge: The Non-Ego Altar – A Photo Essay in Ten Snaps or less. Theme: Worship ♥ Service

'Til next month, SEE US BE BUSY? YES!

Susy Bee, Reader Liaison Home Life

3 comments:

Koya Moon said...

wow. simply genius. i'm blown away. and it doesn't get any better than...

[Yarrow’s Yarn & Yardage is my favorite get-away spot, my place to be where daily dilemmas fade, allowing dreams to focus.]

your mind works in brilliant ways aunt sue!

Luke Leger said...

What a wonderful story, Aunt Sue. Just beautiful.
I was just talking to Valerie the other day about learning how to quilt so I could make quilts for Ari and Emilie.
My dad still has the quilt his mother made him when he was little. The back side is made from his old jeans. It is so comfortable, I sleep with it every time we visit him.

Eva Marie Sutter said...

Aunt Sue, this was such a pleasure to read for so many reasons.