Sunday, August 24, 2008

Culinary Q&A with Geir Ragnar

Greetings, my dear friends. Welcome to my new column for Home Life magazine. I am eager to share my thoughts and views with you and I am delighted to be part of the Home Life community. The initial response to my new column was overwhelming. I received so many e-mails, it was hard to choose the ones to respond to. If your question is not addressed in this issue, fear not; it may be addressed in the months to come. So without further adue, let’s get started with your questions.

The first question I would like to address came from a young lady named Eva. I received her question not from an e-mail, but from a chance encounter at a local park. She asked me if she could ask me her question in person or if she had to send an email. I had her ask me at that time and her question was this:
Q: Geir, when I use butter to cook my eggs, they do not stick to the pan; yet, if I use olive oil, they stick. Why?

A: Eva, as you know, I was initially stumped since I always use butter in my pans to cook eggs. I went home and tried the olive oil to see if I would have the same problems you encountered. I did not. The eggs did not stick to my pan using olive oil. So, the oil is not the problem. What is the issue then? I don’t know. It could be the way you prepare your eggs. I made an omlett, if I would have scambled eggs, I could have had a different result. Also, with oil, you may need to get it hotter, since it has a higher smoke point. Unfortunately, Eva, I do not have a definative answer. All I can say is to try it with the oil hotter or try making an omlett with the olive oil. Perhaps we will meet again in the park someday, and you can let me know your results.

Q: Geir, Slátur, or blood pudding, is my husband’s favorite meal, yet I can not seem to get it as “smooth” as his mother made it. Do you have any suggestions? - Dadda from Hella, Iceland.

A: First of all Dadda, let me say that I am glad that you are making your own Slátur and not buying it from the supermarket. It is becoming a lost art, and frankly, the supermarket varieties just aren't very good. There are a couple of suggestions I can give you that may help. First, if you want your Slátur to have a smoother texture, try chopping the fat fine, so that you can not see the fat when eaten. Also, I believe that it is extremely important to never mix your Slátur with anything other than your hands. The hands are the best tools that you have in the kitchen.

Q: Geir, since you are from Iceland, I just wanted to know your own personal thoughts on Hákarl. - James from Syracuse, NY.

A: Ahh, James, I was wondering if someone would email me about Hákarl. For those of you who do not know, Hákarl (meaning ‘shark’ in Icelandic) is rotten shark meat. It is known for its pungent taste and smell of ammonia. The reason the shark is basically allowed to rot is simple; the shark meat is poisonous before the curing process begins. In Iceland, the predominant sharks are Greenland sharks. Greenland sharks do not have urinary tracts and; therefore, must secrete their urine from their skin. As a result, high amounts of uric acid become so concentrated in the shark that eating even some of it can potentially cause people to vomit blood. By allowing the shark to fully decay and be cured, the acid is removed from the flesh; making it easier to digest.
Now that you know what the dish is, let me say that I have tremendous respect for the tradition of Hákarl and I do eat it. Hákarl looks somewhat normal, like any other fish, but there's something about un-refrigerated meat hanging on hooks, unprotected from the elements that makes some a little nervous. I would not say that it is the single worst, most disgusting and terrible tasting thing I have ever eaten. It is, though, an aquired taste.

5 comments:

Eva Marie Sutter said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Eva Marie Sutter said...

Geir, thanks so much for answering my question about the butter/oil. I'll have to do some experimenting on my own. I also learned something new about culinary traditions of Iceland! For that I thank you for expanding my horizons. Now, where can I taste that cured shark in America?
Is there an Icelandic market or Iceland-town in Chicago? Thanks. P.s. I liked the photo.

Koya Moon said...

Dear Geir,
I have been enlightened on so many levels, and although the native cuisines of Iceland seem intimidating, I am intrigued enough to want to visit anyway. I have a question about the alcohol consumption of the people there. I have heard that it is home to a massive party scene, and lots of drinking. What might those drinks contain? Are they specialized to different areas? Do they utilize strange ingredients? Do they use these drinks in their cooking? Do you enjoy these euphoria/dementia inducing beverages? Thank you cordially!

Aunt Sue said...

Dear Geir,
Congratulations - Iceland is featured in the book "Geography of Bliss: One Grump's Search for the Happiest Places on Earth"! Check your local library! Also, is freezing a recommended method for storing large quantities of olive oil? What IS "the single worst, most disgusting and terrible tasting thing" you have ever eaten?! Just wondering . . .

Luke Leger said...

eva, I do not know of any Hákarl distributors in the US. It probably has something to do with not being able to keep it fresh enough...just kidding. Anyway, you could perhaps find it in your local Scandinavian market. They may have it.

k. diddy, the drinking scene here in Iceland is not much to speak of really. That is not to say we are not opposed to go out and have a good time every now and again. In the winter, the sun only shines four hours per day, so going out to have a few drinks with some friends is always nice.
As far as the drinks, Brennivín is our signature alcoholic beverage and it is sold throughout all of Iceland. It is made from fermented potato pulp, and flavored with caraway seeds. I never eat Hákarl without chasing it with some Brennivín. It masks the taste of the meat pretty well. It is a pretty potent drink and I try to drink it in moderation.

aunt sue, thank you for the book recommendation. We Icelanders pride ourselves on being some of the healthiest and happiest people on the face of the earth.
As far as your question regarding olive oil, I myself have never frozen olive oil, so I can not speak from experience. What I have read is that olive oil does indeed freeze well and retains all of its flavor and nutrients. I would suggest freezing a small amount and then use it to see if you notice a difference. The single worst, most disgusting and terrible tasting thing I have ever eaten is Durian. Some people enjoy it, but to me it tastes like rotten mushy onions.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I hope I answered all your additional questions adequately.