Wednesday, September 1, 2010

September Topic: Saintly Curiosity


Whenever someone lost something at Nonna's, she approached the situation with a kind suggestion: 'Say a prayer to Saint Anthony.'  And this plea always worked.  I also heard stories growing up of Saint Martin de Porres who could teleport, and of humble St. Francis' infinite kindness. To my infantile mind, this all seemed so natural, but as I grew, I began to wonder, who are these Saints?  Who is this helpful being, Saint Anthony, who helped my Aunt find her keys?  What are they?   My mother-in-law, as I write, is getting herself ready to go on a pilgrimage to a neighboring village to celebrate the life of Saint Giles, where his relic, exuding healing energy, is on display.  So, I suggest we write about an experience we've had, real or imagined, with a Saint or Saintly being (bodhisattva, angel, master, etc.)  Or, if you'd prefer, write the life story of an imagined Saint.

Subtopic: Write the intro to a cookbook of favorite familial recipes.

No comments: