Sunday, September 27, 2009

Lip-smacking Lardlet Lunacy

Greetings my dear friends and faithful readers; I am oh so excited about this month’s Culinary Q & A because I received a question that brought back a delicious little nugget of goodness back into the forefront of my mind. I've abandoned my usual three question format in order to focus solely on what I believe has been a forgotten ingredient in many a kitchen. With the winter months just around the corner, I have been turning my attention to warm rich comfort foods more and more. Apparently, so has reader Hans, who wrote:

Q: Geir, I love a good pot roast, but no matter how hard I try, the meat always turns out dry and bland. What can I do to keep the roast moist, juicy and succulent?

A: Thanks for the question Hans. Now, the first thing to remember about pot roast; the meat must not be prepared in a speustic fashion. It takes time and great care to cook a moist succulent pot roast. So, if your thinking you can throw a roast in the oven at high heat and it will be perfectly cooked in thirty minutes; well, you should probably think about having something else for dinner. But any culinary advice columnist could tell you to cook the pot roast low and slow and move on to the next question; but this HomeLife magazine, and I'm Geir Ragnar, and I know you've come to expect more from us.

The answer in preparing pot roast perfection lies in a luscious little morsel of pork fat goodness called a lardlet. Now, those of us who have ever popped open a can of baked beans or pork and beans have seen lardlets floating around in the sauce; but few have actually seen or used them in other applications. The pot roast, my friend, is another is another dish that benefits greatly by the use of the lardlet.

For those who may not know, a lardlet is a small piece of bacon that is put into a dish to enrich it with fat. As we all know, fat equals flavor, but the lardlet also enhances the pot roast by keeping it moist and providing it with just a hint of smokiness. The end result will provide your meat with a depth of flavor and richness few have had the pleasure of experiencing in a pot roast.

4 comments:

flutterby said...

Really? I suck at pot roast. Cool beans! You really should write a cooking column.

Aunt Sue said...

Mmm . . . ! Lardlets, the genu-swine article - don't be fooled by BacOs! Excuse me while I go prepare a month's supply of this perfect flavor-enhancer . . .

Glad to have Geir making an appearance, come back often!

Eva Marie Sutter said...

Thanks for bringing back nourishing kitchen traditions, Geir! Love the article!

Koya Moon said...

woah! it's Geir! He's back and he's taking over ... lardlets and all! I've never known about these methods for pot roast. Geir has got it going on!